Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2016

ADULTING





Remember when we were kids and we couldn’t wait for that call that school was closed due to snow!  We waited with anticipation and held off on our homework as long as possible, said prayers crossed our fingers and wished on every star.  When you come from the Midwest, getting a snow day is rare.  It damn near has to be over the roof of your house before they would call a day off.  Things have changed a lot since then.  Now, we have to be self aware of every danger and minor incident that could conceivably happen and if there’s a 2% chance you die of an icicle hanging off the gutter, they shut it down.  Ahh the good ole days.  My kids will never know the pleasure of going to the JC Penny parking lot on a snowy Friday night and doing donuts and then hearing that one yell…HEY MAN I bet my Bronco can climb that snow mountain up the light pole.  COOL!!  It’s amazing we’re all still alive.  It’s probably all the gluten we had.  And Jack Daniels.

But then we grow up.  And we don’t get summer breaks anymore or holidays and mom doesn’t come eat lunch with me or send me with a note to my boss when I have the sniffles.  Nope, we have to do what is called “adulting” now.   It used to be called being a grown up, but the Millennials are never happy with anything prior to 2005, ever, so we’re adulting now.  Yay ADULTING!   I’ve had 2 sick days this week.   My husband actually offered to call in for me.  That was sweet, not sure the boss would have cared or found that amusing, but it was sweet nonetheless.  And they say chivalry is dead?!   I used to love going into the office.  I loved the dressing up, I loved our clients, and I loved the people.  I’m finding that well, I was obviously stupid.  Because there’s nothing remotely fun about people anymore.  I’ve found that just the mere sound of their whiney “give me more for nothing” attitudes makes me want to throw my very expensive Manolo Mary Janes at their heads.  Why isn’t my life as glamorous as Carrie Bradshaw’s??? I mean, I dress way better than her anyways and yet I sit an stare at a computer all day and wish my clients would fall out of a 20-story building.  I’m pretty sure I need therapy for that.  From what I hear, Adulting means I can get Xanax and wine in a coffee mug at my request!  Ok, so there’s one benefit of Adulting.

Sick days are nowhere near as fun when we’re Adulting as it was during our carefree days.  I still had to do laundry.  I can’t watch old reruns of Miami Vice in dirty clothes.   My dog requires me to feed her and still get up and let her in and out.  Then I start thinking, what is everyone going to want to eat for supper, should I cook since I’m home?  Wait, it’s a sick day I’m not supposed to cook.    Peanut butter cheese crackers count as a meal right?  Then I start to realize that I really hate Dr. Phil.   He likes to remind us that it’s not his 1st rodeo while making me feel like it’s my fault that his guests are screwed up beyond anyone’s control.  Why am I feeling guilty?   I’m also having a very in-depth conversation with Phil and his guests as though anything I said really matters or more importantly they can “hear me”.    I also spend no less than 2 hours on his message boards in a back and forth with Jane in Cleveland because I need her to know that once a cheater always a cheater and Sam is just going to continue to sleep with her Sister and that baby she’s caring will bring her years of pain and agony reminding her of those times Sam shared with Jane.   I’m already verclemped again.  I do enjoy Robin, she is very stylish in her designer sweaters and big skirts.  But I wish she would stop with teeth whitening, its starting to just get, well, creepy.  



Adulting means I’m supposed to support my kids too.  As in, I’m supposed to go to work 40+ hours a week, be a kick ass Paralegal and then make sure they are enrolled in no less than 2 extra curricular activities a piece and provide snacks for the activities because some one… a Millennial no doubt, decided that kids need “healthy snacks” at every event and practice.  I sent cheetos and Gatorade.  I’m the cool mom.   At these events you will come across the other moms.  I thank the good Lord above that I have such a wonderful husband who took over the soccer mom duties for the last couple of years for me.  He has been phenomenal at this.   Because after one day of cheer season with these women and I made the 1st coach cry and quit.  What can I say I have a gift.  But seriously, if your main issue with parents is “I don’t like to talk to people” you may have picked the wrong activity to participate in as a Coach.  I forget we all have feelings while we’re adulting.  

I’m also supposed to make sure that the house is well put together and the kids have clean clothes.  I decided that’s what the 13 year old was for.  Genius really, teach him life skills, get an early start on Adulting for the young lad.  One day he’ll thank me.   You also have to show up at school for lunches and parent teacher conferences.  This is where you find out if your kid is going to make it in college one day or if you need to make sure the basement is big enough for him and his life long collection of commemorative Dr. Who collectibles and Yughi Oh cards.   I’m not gonna lie, this terrifies me.  Let’s just hope that the light bulb goes off and the girlfriend he gets pregnant in 12th grade comes from a wealthy family and is one of the those new age parents who believes in helicopter parenting, and adopts him.   When Adulting we should always try to find the silver lining. 

This week I’m really going to try and dig deep and hope that I can find my inner peace and see the world with new eyes.  A kinder gentler Deana Rae if you will.   Maybe the Yoga will help.  Maybe I wont want to tell my clients that they wouldn’t need a lawyer if they could just dig deep and find some act right and not think smoking crack and hanging off a pole would get their kids back??  I’ll grab a $5 cup of Starbucks and read the Nordstrom Spring Line and imagine myself being the bigger person.  Wearing Stuart Weitzman.  Summer is coming, Adulting means summer drinks by the pool.  Maybe Adulting isn’t so bad.