Search This Blog

Friday, October 21, 2016

Woman Lives in 90 sq. ft. Apartment in NYC....This isn't even big enough to house my Handbags! Lord Help Her!




As I was out walking this morning and enjoying Mother Nature in all her splendor and my shin splints I was telling my girlfriend, fellow Cav wife, that I've been in a slump with my writing.  It's like all the magic had left my finger tips and I let people get my in head that I shouldn't have.  I've really been at a loss of things to share or give my unwanted opinion about.  And then today, while sitting in the ugly brown chair watching last night's episode of Project Runway it was if it fell in my lap.  And literally it did.  I was thumbing through my Facebook feed and reading fellow bloggers and came across this article and I knew...I had to share with the world.  I want to thank the fine folks at the website....People I Want to Punch In the Throat!  You made my day, and helped me find my mojo again.  Gracias!!!

I'm scrolling through and I'm immediately hit with the title:  Woman lives in 90 sq. ft. apartment in NYC.   Wait, what?   Well, naturally I had to step inside and see how she lives.  What can I say that you aren't already thinking???  There are people in this world that are a little different, a little eclectic.   We definitely need those people.  Then there are people who for whatever reason, I'm not sure should breathe the same air as the rest of us.  Now, I'll be the first one to tell you that on any given day I fluctuate between those very 2 categories.  This woman, no.  Just no.

We meet Felice and she begins this little 5 minute video standing outside her 90 sq. ft. NYC downtown Manhattan apartment.  She wanted to live in Manhattan but didn't want to pay to live there.  Makes sense, don't we all???  So a friend of hers talks her into this cracker jack box of an apartment, or as I like to call it...a coat closet,  so that she can be near Central Park and all that NYC has to offer.  And libraries.  Don't forget the libraries.  I can tell you that me and Felice nor her friends would be buddies in real life.  AND if any of my friends suggested this equivalent to living in the trunk of my car in the park, I would be throat punching them.  She is so excited to introduce us into her tiny world and I can't lie, I'm excited to see this.  Felice is a professional organizer.  I had no idea that was a profession.  I mean, people really hire someone to come put your shit in boxes and shelves.  Its clear I have really squandered my years and imagination.   But this is good to know so I can add the numerous years of army moves and organizing my daughter's Barbie and Shopkins, to my resume!

Her "main living area" consists of a desk, a chair, a computer, shelves to the ceiling for all her organizing, a small window and a rug.   There is no kitchen.  I repeat, there is no kitchen.  But hey, you're in Manhattan who really cooks anyways, right?  But seriously folks, even Carrie Bradshaw had a kitchen and there was wine and saltine crackers and one pot.   She does have the college dorm fridge that she has to stock every 3 days and she has a toaster oven that holds her bananas.   This is place is so small you couldn't fit a side of nachos from Taco Bell in there.  She has one make shift closet that fits a couple of coats and shirts.  I'm already thinking to myself, this wouldn't hold 3 of my handbags...this is NO BUENO!  And then she takes us into the biggest room, the bathroom.

I almost had a panic attack watching this part.  She goes on about how big this bathroom is and quite frankly she thinks its getting bigger.  I'm fairly certain that Felice smokes a lot of weed.  You have to sit sideways on the toilet so you don't hit the linen cabinet or the tub.  In order to get in or out of the tub you must climb over the toilet and hope you don't take a header into the sink.  And I'll quote Felice..."you only take one shower a day anyways soooo".   I hope organizing spaces doesn't make her too sweaty, otherwise........  Now, I can tell you my first thoughts with this bathroom situation is this....what if you have the worst case of flu, the kind that has you puking and pooping from both ends at the same time??? We've all been there.  We've all huddled naked on a bathmat crying in our own shame once in our lifetime.  I'm not sure if that happened in this bathroom if you would ever recover from the physical or emotional trauma.  I'm glad she's a good organizer, she's going to need those skills when she's trying to clean up her own bodily fluids with the 1 square of toilet paper and wash rag that will fit in there.  I mean, I literally was at a loss over this bathroom situation.  I need to pray for her right now.

Next we moved onto the final room, the bedroom.  Its a bunk bed/loft.  There's no sitting up in this bed, I'm not sure she really has room to crawl in and out of this bed but she did.  Which leads me back to the bathroom situation.   Can you imagine having to climb up and down that ladder if you have to throw up in the middle of the night with that dreaded ebola flu???  She'll never make it down those stairs.  You know what else isn't happening in this apartment, sex.  No one is getting laid in this apartment.  There's no possible way that anyone is getting lucky there.  People who've had sex in Fieros had more room than she does.  She lays in bed of a night and reads.  And openly admits she has panic attacks due to feeling like she's in a box and that she might fall out of the bed.  Which the bed has rails.  I'm not sure if falling to her death in the middle of the night from a bunk bed should be her biggest worry at this point in her life.

I'm positive that Felice is a lovely individual and we could learn from her and her conservative living.  She doesn't live over her means and grew up being taught the value of a dollar.  I admire that.  Big Chief suggested once that we could sell everything we have and move into an RV for the last few years of his Army career and we would be financially set to build the house of our dreams and have all this extra income in our pockets.  But I like living happy and married and he likes living without me yelling at him everyday.  So, I think we are doomed to live the American dream, in debt, but with really good shoes and handbags!!!!!  So to you Felice, I say Rock On in your affordable $700 a month Manhattan apartment!  You're living the dream, and no one can take that away from you!!!

Here's the link to check out her video, I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!! And please, let's discuss this...what are your thoughts about this space????  Woman lives in 90 sq. ft. apartment