Search This Blog

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Impulse Buys and Broken Dreams


On any given day I can see something on TV or the Internet and realize in that very moment I can’t live with out that item.  How I’m not addicted to infomercials is still a mystery.  Because I really need those hot rollers that use steam and that crazy twirling curling iron that makes beach waves, oh and that little grill that will stay lit on 5 pieces of newspaper and twisty tie.   And it can be the most random of things that for whatever reason the dear lord shined his heavenly light down on and I decided that the world as we know it wouldn’t be right if I didn’t own it.  My vision came yesterday in a dear friend’s Facebook post.  The bible of the internet.    It was a Tiffany Blue cooler.  Oh where have you been all my life?   That was it, I literally went to bed thinking about all the things I could do with this cooler.  And none of these things involved anything you would naturally do with a cooler.  I’m not going to go “yak’n”, or have a picnic, or take it to the beach, or fish, or well, really do anything at all outdoors.  It’s going on my back porch.  Because you see the Tiffany Blue cooler would match my new Umbrella for my picnic table.  The thin blue stripe in the umbrella would be most accented with the blue cooler.  I mean don’t get me wrong, I can fill the cooler with drinks while I’m swimming in the pool, but lets be real…I’m decorating with it.   AND then it came to me….I could have the man free hand a white bow and ribbon on it.  Now the wheels are turning.   How many pictures could I take of Baby Girl with this?  How many pictures could I take of me with this?  Or I could just roll up at the next mandatory Army fun time party with my super cute cooler!!!!  YES!!!
I may have a sickness!


I found out where this magical wonder could be found and set out today to go get one.  Man oh man was I excited.  I couldn’t wait.  I got my pool supplies and there it was…sitting there waiting one me.  Right there, the angels were singing and I was giddy.  And then I saw the price tag.   Sweet Audrey Hepburn, what was thing made out of?  I mean seriously, is this the going rate for coolers now?  The square box we fill to the brim with ice and Busch Lite?  My heart sank.  I just couldn’t do it.  I mean, don’t get me wrong, this girl has no problem dropping some cash, but I just couldn’t tell myself enough how it was worth it.   I realized right then and there that the Army just wasn’t fulfilling my needs.  Apparently what the Army is telling me is that, Deana Rae, buy an igloo and paint that sucker! 

Those Styrofoam coolers could be easily painted and you could have a dozen Tiffany Blue coolers stacked like jewelry boxes.  No, I couldn’t.   Somehow the sparkle was gone.  And just like that I bought my chlorine for the pool and left disappointed and my dreams shattered.   I never knew my heart could ache so over a cooler. 

I got in the car to head home and on the radio we were discussing Reese Witherspoon and her life shattering decision to no longer wear cut off shorts.  Gone, out the window, not gonna do it.  She’s decided since she’s 40 now that she will no longer wear them because they’re just not appropriate for women of said age.  My age.  Well, my age in 2 months ( lets face it girls I'm holding on to 39 to the last minute on the clock).  She wants to be more polished, with nice shorts with a clean look.  That’s swell.   So I’ve lost a cooler today and looking at myself in the mirror, wearing my new cut off boy jean shorts from ShopBop and my muscle shirt that says, “Fun Fact, I don’t care”.   Apparently Reese would be mortified of my attire today.  I feel ashamed.   I also copied a Khloe Kardashian type hairstyle that I was wearing in 4th grade.  Today is a complete failure. 

Bye Bye cut offs, tan legs and summer memories, I hate you Reese!


I’m pretty sure that the only person would be excited by any of my decisions is Dave Ramsay….for my ability to walk away from the cooler I didn’t really need but really wanted, the fact that I paid cash for my inappropriate ensemble and because in my moment of depression I didn’t buy the Valentino with Jesse’s credit card.  Well, there’s always tomorrow.