Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

I’m still cool just not 18 and stupid kinda cool



Today I learned that my 7 year-old daughter has more energy than Lance Armstrong on monkey steroids.   I love that little face of hers but today I had to come to the reality that I’m just not the cool kid I always imagined myself as.  I’m the kid that longs for her ugly brown chair and my Grey’s Anatomy on demand.  But today it was a girl’s day of fun.  We started out with tennis, then we had our cheer, off to the grocery store where one gallon of milk turned into a cheesecake, cupcake, cannoli and Kit Kats.  Then we were off to lunch for chicken, we had to wash our diabetes down with something greasy and a heart cath.  Then we decided to watch a movie before we swam.  Would hate to get a cramp with the diabetes and heart disease and all.  Its always best to use common sense and moderation.

Once I got the pool ready to go we jumped in.  I decided it would be fun to do a cannonball.  What I didn’t count on was actually missing the pool, landing on my giant swan, sliding off and hitting my head on the pool stairs.   Baby Girl on the other hand laughed hysterically.  I’m pretty sure I have a concussion, but you know what they say, don’t go to sleep, so I climbed up on my swan and tried to float for a bit and decide if I was experiencing any neurological abnormalities.  At least I could count to 10, that was how many breaths baby girl had worked her way up to staying under water.  That was fun.

While I was laying on my float I started having flash backs of about 2 years ago when I tried to show her how to do a cartwheel.  That also ended tragically.   I still have a limp and twinge in that knee frm time to time.   I think its just time for me to realize that I cannot perform the acts I used to be able to do.   I think my powers should be used for more useful things in order to help her succeed in life. 

I still shudder to think about this day

Such as helping her pick out the perfect polish for her nails and toes.  Never the same color, always a shade or two off.  I learned this from one of my closest dearest friends who would publicly shame me if I was wearing OPI’s Meet Me In Paris on my toes and nails.  NOOOO!!!  It’s embedded in me, and now my daughter.    I also can put together a stream of obscenities that would make a seasoned vet blush.  Sometimes you need a few good adjectives to get your point across.   I’m really good at this.  The proper handbag.  She will never go without or carry the wrong bag in Season.  And if her future husband doesn’t understand this, then he can’t be a part of our lives.  Her life, can’t be a part of her life.    Laughter will always be in her life.  My dad was a funny man.  He always had a good joke or a funny story.  I credit him for my humor.  He probably wouldn’t be too happy about that whole obscenity part, I’ll try to do better dad.   And I will ensure that she knows laughter will get through anything, even when it may not seem acceptable at the time.   I will also be able to teach her the importance of a good play list on her ipod and that car dancing is a real sport and you should always be on you’re A-game.  You never know who you will roll up next to at a red light and be intrigued by your moves.  If Justin Beiber can be discovered on Youtube then the sky’s the limit for her. 


I wish I could still do the cartwheel and the cannonball.  I wish I still had my cool moves.  But I’m pretty happy with my middle aged cool moves now.  I just need to pace myself.  I’m probably one obscenity and handbag away from the man sedating me!