Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Happy Father's Day



Today at Castle Allen we’re not only excited to celebrate my son’s 14th Birthday but it’s also Father’s Day.  I was thinking about all the Father’s Days and realize that Big Chief has had to miss quite a few of those.   When he’s away we always try to make up for it and make him feel like he was here.  There’s always the big box that goes out 3 weeks before the actual date because with the mail going overseas could take 5 days to never to get there.  Its usually loaded with his favorite things; Cheerios, big tubes of chew, pictures of the kids and their finger paintings of Baby Girl’s hands to see how she’s grown and a pillow case that smells like Warm Vanilla Sugar.   Then we would wait for the phone call on a really crappy static land line or cell phone.    Its hard to fit a month’s worth of excitement and conversations into a 15-20 minute phone call. 

I’m thankful for his opportunities and that he’s the man that he is and his love for our country.  I knew the game when I married him.  I know my struggles and what I have to do for the kids.  I don’t think that we ever stop to think about what the guys go through when they walk out that door.  We’re so accustomed to men being the big protectors and not having feelings that It doesn’t sink in that when they get on a plane when their daughter is 3 months old, there’s a chance he won’t come back and that deep down inside, the biggest Big Chief is falling to pieces.   It’s probably what makes them hard like woodpecker lips.  Men can bury feelings.  I envy that to a degree.

Not only has Big Chief been a fantastic dad to his daughter but he welcomed my son into his life when he was only 5 years old.  You hear stories of the awful stepdads who did horrible things to their kids, but I found the exact opposite.  He was deployed for my son’s last full year in the cub scouts and came home during the Pine Car Derby!  He came straight from re-integrating into the real modernized world again to the event, uniform and stinky in toe, and was there to watch Braden’s poor lil car that I tried to help him win with get the Ugly Turtle award.   Through out the years they have grown close and developed a bond that I don’t have with my son.  He’s taught him what it means to be a man, a respectful man.  He’s tried to show him how to treat ladies by opening the door and saying thank you.  They started Archery together and just last night went on their first bow hunt.  I’m thankful that Braden has someone he can go to, no matter what and will be there for him.   Big Chief made Braden his “son”, not because it was convenient, not because he thought he would get some monetary benefit out of it, not to impress me…but because he cared and loves him.  There’s nothing more a mother could want for her babies than that, and for that, I’m truly grateful! 

For my daughter, she has her bestest friend and the guy who will make bodies disappear and we’ll never speak of again.  The man that she only has to look at with those big blue eyes and with that long drawn out southern draw say…DaaaddDEE, and he’s done.  Whatever she wants its gonna happen.  She knows how to work her magic with him.  Baby Girls are the only thing that can make a man hard like woodpecker lips start to cry at any given point in the day about any random thought.  It’s the craziest thing I’ve ever seen.  We can be in a full blown 3 alarm argument and she can say those magic words followed by….you’re the bestest daddy in the whole world…and he’s done.   I need to learn how to possess these magical powers.  I’ve seen him have a tea party and wear purple bunny ears, they have their daddy/daughter dates once a month, they’re crafting buddies and now they have their special times learning to swim.   There will never be a man that will ever live up to the magic that is daddy, and I know secretly down inside that makes Big Chief pretty ecstatic.   But his dreams of buying an RV and following her around the rest of her life while she pursues jet pilot status I may have to burn those, at some point I’d like to have my husband back to just me.  Who are we kidding, I’m going to be in an RV.

Today, we will celebrate a young man turning 14, a new stage in his life in becoming a man and we will celebrate Father’s Day with a man we all hope our daughters marry one day and our sons have for role models and best friends.  Happy Father's Day to all the Good Ones!!!!