Search This Blog

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Give us your Pokémon or Die


There are few things in this life that I devote hours upon hours upon hours that I can’t get back.  TV.   If there were a self-help group for people who watch ridiculous amounts of TV I would be a lifetime member.  Everything I do is literally planned around my TV shows and meals.  I am the real life Peggy Bundy.  There are people in this world that can boast all kinds of great attributes and talents.  My talent is that I can tell you in great depths about every single episode and the music that was featured in every single episode of Miami Vice.  I also can tell you the fictional address of the house that Roseanne lived at in Lanford, Illinois.   What can I say I have a gift. 

Right now I’m in limbo in this crazy thing called life so I’ve had some extra unwanted time on my hands during our transition, and with the Summer here, I’ve found myself wrapped in my new TV toy the ROKU stick.  I’ve discovered a whole new level of TV watching I didn’t know was possible.   Not only can I watch series’ that I missed out on and wanted to catch up I can also take a trip to the way back…circa 1992 and started watching Melrose Place again!  Because that’s what I needed in my own life…more cray cray.   I do miss those 1997 Ally McBeal skirts and pastel suits though!   My possibilities are endless on this little stick.  I even have a channel dedicated Lifetime Movies…for those times when you’re not depressed enough and the Xanax hasn’t quite kicked in yet.

But a few days ago while I was in the middle of Kimberly blowing up the apartment complex at Melrose Place and planning my Nordstrom Sale shopping cart online this new phenomenon was sweeping my Facebook feed.  Pokémon GO.  What is a Pokémon GO?  Well the first thing I did was download it.   That was the worst thing I could have done.

I’ve been playing the Pokémon GO since last week and I can’t tell you what one is as I never played or watched this as a kid.  I’m sure there’s some unwritten rule in the world of geekdom that is chanting SHAME, SHAME, SHAME right now, but it is what it is.  I liked going to the mall,  boys and madonna videos when I was a kid, not a red and white Japanese ball that eats critters.  But look at me now, I’ve found myself chasing these little boogers everywhere.  I’ve become addicted to the Pokémon! 

I have found myself sneaking out in the middle of the afternoon to drive all over the city to look for Pokestops to get my eggs to hatch the Pokes.  I’m sure all my lingo here is wrong but bare with me.  During dinner tonight we ate at an actual Pokestop.  So every ten minutes I was spinning my big neon blue wheel to get Pokeballs and potions and eggs!!!  At one point the man actually yelled across the table….DEANA RAE!  Now normally that would be about the time I might throw beer cheese on him but I realized, that this whole Poke phenomenon had sucked me.  Was I too deep?  I joined the local PokeGO Facebook group.  I realized, I’m not alone.  There are people out there way more dedicated than I am that have Pokémon hunting expeditions.  Who knew???   AND then the mother of all ads popped up, on a military spouse page of all areas…..the dependa have found new ways to make ends meet.   They will actually drive you around and be your chauffeur to hunt the Pokémon!  OH, you have to go to work, no problem, for a $100 a nice lady in Missouri will take your phone and drive around all day and catch the Pokémon, she even promises that she knows where all the rare sightings are and can “guarantee” you she’ll get those.   Seems legit.   Maybe I should rethink my career options!  And here I thought Uber driver was my ticket to get rich quick! 

It wasn’t bad enough that I drug myself and my 3 kids into this world.  Yes, I may have lured them out in the town (cause they HATE town) with the impression that we were going to get Ice Cream, all along we drove to the Jehovah Witness Temple so that I could claim my four balls and potions!   Oddly enough, churches seem to be the hub for Pokestops just in case you’re out there being crazy with me.   They were all into it for about 15 minutes until their spidey senses picked up that we weren’t driving anywhere near where the coveted ice cream is!  THE ONE TIME you need them to not be observant of anything going around them, they pick this day!  I also decided, along with a co-conspirator who will remain nameless, that my husband needed to join in the fun.  Because you see, at some point I may need him to “transfer” his loot to me!!!   All along he had publicly shamed me on my new addiction but my instincts told me I would eventually get him on board.   Eventually my constant demeaning and refusal to ever cook him anything that didn’t contain sour cream or mayonnaise won.  He’s on board.  I’ve reeled him in.  Welcome to the club, darlin….We’re going to have so much fun! 

Now that the whole family is on board and we’re all out looking like maniacs walking through the neighbor’s yard and stalking the local churches at least 10 times a day the real fun can begin.  As long as my daughter doesn’t take my phone and burn through all 83 of my Pokeballs on one rattata again, we will all be just fine.   There really is nothing more pitiful than a grown woman on the verge of tears because all of her Pokeballs are gone.  I bet there’s a self-help group out there for people like me.   Lord knows, we don’t need to relive the great Mafia Wars and Farmtown incident of 2009!

Pretty soon the kids will be going back to school and the man will be in his routine knitting that blanket of freedom and I’ll be able to start  the three new TV series I have loaded up in my ROKU and will be able to go roam the city all willy nilly by myself hunting these wiley critters!    So to that I say…Game on Fellow Nerds!